Mortar Board Pleiades | 2017-2018 Chapter
This application is designed to assist the Pleiades Chapter of Mortar Board at NIU in selecting new members for the 2017-2018 academic year. Completion of this application does not guarantee membership into the organization; however, all persons submitting an application will be considered for membership, provided they meet the eligibility requirements. Eligibility is based on a minimum cumulative NIU GPA of 3.2 by January 2017, senior standing (90 credits) by Fall 2017, an undergraduate student, and a graduation date no earlier than December 2017. If selected, Mortar Board dues are $100.00 which must be paid prior to initiation.
Before continuing the online application, you will need to provide information about yourself. You will need a 2017-2018 calendar/ planner while completing this application. Please gather the relevant information and consider your response BEFORE proceeding with the application.
This online survey asks for the following information:
- Academic history including hours earned and cumulative GPA
- Names and contact information for 2 references
* BULLET POINT LIST OF YOUR SCHOLARSHIP Experience and Involvement - Scholarship is not solely GPA. Consider ways in which you have demonstrated a real intellectual curiosity and interest in ideas. Have you been involved in cultural activities on campus? Have you participated in research and other scholarly activities in your department? Have you attended or presented at conferences? Are you in any professional organizations?
*BULLET POINT LIST OF YOUR LEADERSHIP Experience and Involvements - Do you offer an example for others by displaying humility and sincere leadership, not just for the sake of prestige? What leadership roles have you taken on in organizations you've been involved with, community activities, and campus positions? How have you encouraged other to lead? How have you been recognized for your leadership ability? What have you accomplished as a group and how did you contribute?
*BULLET POINT LIST OF YOUR SERVICE Experience and Involvement - Service includes cooperation, generosity, and responsibility. What have you done to serve the campus and community? What volunteer or paid positions have enabled you to provide service? Are you sensitive to the needs of campus and active in trying to do something about them? Consider you impact on NIU, faculty, and living units, campus, organizations, the performing arts, student government, service projects, campus programs and sports, discussions for campus betterment, student/faculty committees, campus relations, and the university community?
You will also be asked to provide thoughtful responses to the following three questions:
1. Why are you interested in becoming a member of Mortar Board ad what personal qualities do you have which will contribute to the chapter?
2. Briefly describe what it means to you to be an active member of an organization.
3. What was you most significant experience (positive or negative) at Northern Illinois University? What did you learn from that experience and how would you relate it to your membership in Mortar Board?
BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE APPLICATION PROCESS, PLEASE READ THE ABOVE INFORMATION. YOU MUST HAVE THIS INFORMATION IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION. DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT YET READY TO FINISH THE APPLICATION IN ONE SITTING.
**THIS APPLICATION WILL CLOSE ON MARCH 1, 2017**